Why Dad being present throughout the birth of their baby is one of the most important elements for a positive birth experience
Why Dad being present throughout the birth of their baby is one of the most important elements for a positive birth experience – as told by a Hypnobirthing mum
It is fairly standard these days that Dad or another Birth Partner is present at the birth of a baby to help and support mum. However, this hasn’t always been the case, up until the late 1960’s Dad’s were more likely to be found in the pub rather than the delivery room. Now Dad’s role has really changed and they are a member of the birthing team and attend the birth preparation classes with mum.
Now the purpose of this blog isn’t about encouraging Dad’s to be in the room when mum is giving birth. No, that’s kind of a given. What I want to talk about is about Dad’s being present in mind not just body. Us ladies recognise that Dad’s can feel like a spare part and it can go on for hours but having a partner that supports mum mentally and physically can play a crucial part in a positive birth experience.
Top Tips for being present at the birth of your baby:
• Do your prep – understand the process of birth, the physical and mental changes, understand the environment, how you can create an environment that is going to support mum
• Know your rights – if things get challenging mum isn’t going to be in the right frame of mind to answer questions and make decision you need to be the voice of the family
• Protect the space – through good preparation you will know what you both want from the birth. It is your job to protect that space and give mum the opportunity to focus on the birth and nothing else
• Put your phone down – messages, sports results and emails can wait
• Give yourself jobs – if you need to chunk down the time set yourself a plan of lots of little jobs. For example: keeping mum hydrated and fed, entertaining the room with some classic Dad jokes, massage for mum, breathing exercises with mum, reading relaxation scripts to mum…
Having a fully present birth partner can boost mum when she is at her lowest, keep her comfortable, keep her relaxed and keep her believing she can do it. All of this allows mum’s body to do what it is designed to do and can result in a really positive birth experience.
To find out more about how you can get prepared for the birth of your baby contact me on 07399405578